This content is intended for Healthcare Professionals only.
Effects of Essential Oil Mouthwash in
Oral Hygiene Regimens
A 12-week study reveals exciting data on the benefits of Listerine Antiseptic
CLINICAL 2 :Effects of Essential Oil Mouthwash in Oral Hygiene Regimens
To evaluate the efficacy of various oral hygiene regimens in the prevention and reduction of plaque and gingivitis.
- Following a complete prophylaxis, subjects were examined for oral soft tissue status, plaque, gingivitis, and gingival bleeding at Baseline, 4 weeks, and 12 weeks.
- If assigned to a flossing group, subjects were given flossing instructions and demonstrated competency.
- Product use was supervised once daily virtually on weekdays with second daily and weekend product use unsupervised.
- 213 subjects (18-60 years of age due to COVID- related health restrictions) with mild-to-severe gingivitis and no severe periodontitis, with no entry criteria on MGI/plaque, but must have a minimum of 10% gingival bleeding sites.
- The efficacy outcomes included interproximal and whole-mouth mean modified TPI, mean MGI, gingival bleeding, bleeding on probing depth, and probing depth.
1. Mean Turesky Plaque Index (TPI)
**P < 0.025 superiority vs. Brushing only.
P<0.0125 superiority vs. Brush/Floss. Clinical 2 control = Brush only.
Reference: Milleman, J., Bosma, M. L., McGuire, J. A., Sunkara, A., McAdoo, K., DelSasso, A., Wills, K., & Milleman, K. (2022). Comparative Effectiveness of Toothbrushing, Flossing and Mouthrinse Regimens on Plaque and Gingivitis: A 12-week virtually supervised clinical trial. Journal of Dental Hygiene : JDH, 96(3), 21–34.
For Dental Healthcare Professionals Only. For Educational Purposes Only.